Thursday 1 December 2016

CHANGE

There are times in life when we wonder why we even exist. It’s a question that cannot be easily answered without critical thinking and reasoning of what exactly does one want to do with his or her life. In most cases we ask ourselves, what do I want to achieve in life? 

Still not so many could answer that. Unlike in the US where kids’ talents are nurtured while still at a tender age, what all stereotypical Kenyan parents want to see is a kid who gets good grades in school.’ You have to work hard, perform well so that you can join high school.’ Is what they utter and when in high school: ‘OH MY GOD, you got a C+? Are you serious? KCSE is in six months’ time. You have to pull up your socks if you really want to join college.’ Is what follows.
It’s at this moment that one starts to feel irritated. ‘Why didn’t he even comment on the music certificates that I got after representing my school up to the national levels? All he wants to see is good grades? Oh crap!’ The statement that then follows is that kids nowadays are disrespectful and that they do not know what they (the kids) want in life. So if my parent wants me to perfect an area that we all know I am never going to be good at and ignores that one thing that I am so perfect at, what should I do with my life? How will I decide on the things that I want to pursue in my life if I am at the receiving end in such situation.

It takes time, brains, energy and that uncontrollable urge to communicate to that inner part of you that’s going to help you recognize something, feel it, experience it, own it and most importantly take the enormous decision to believe in it before you conclude that this is exactly what brought me to this world. This is what I want to do. It is the mission that I was given by God and I have to accomplish it. Regrettably not so many people are capable of this.

Many say am destined to achieve great things when they can’t even tell what those great things are. I compare them to a flag, always following the wind’s direction.

I recall an instance during first years’ orientation; barely a week after joining university when one of our lecturers asked why we chose that specific course out of the so many courses offered by the university and why didn’t we opt for other universities . He got many responses some of which I can’t remember considering the fact that we were almost 100 in number. Well some of these replies were extremely hilarious. ‘I chose the course because I have an elder sister who pursued the same course’ was one of the replies he got. Some said they were not sure why while some said people who work in that industry earn lots of money and that’s what they wanted after school; get a good job and earn lots of cash. It’s true we are destined for greater things but my concern is what these great things are if a university student cannot answer such a simple and straight to the point query. We create our own destiny, it all depends on the path that one choses.

Finally yet importantly, we keep singing the song “change”:  academically, politically, financially and even socially but when the same change comes, still we fail to embrace it. You want to take Kenya or rather Africa to the next level, wake up from your deep sleep, throw the sheets away and don’t even bother to make that bed now. Stand out. Show the world what you are capable of achieving. Along the way you’ll meet people with the same objectives as yours, if not you’ll find those that look up to you and want be a part of you.

Change start with you and I and it’s high time we embrace it or even initiate one. If you keep looking down upon yourself and saying that that step is so huge for you to take then you’ll keep playing the victim to the daily challenges that life has to offer and we all know all the temptations and consequent repercussions that come along. Change now, make the world a better place.

2 comments:

  1. Too much insight.I would love to have my child embrace his talents from a young age.Our generation should bring the change the world wants to see by being it ourselves and raising our children aiming at better times yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elviner Were Damaris1 December 2016 at 09:54

    CHANGE..it's a simple 6 letter word but comes with lots of responsibility. It takes a lot for one to change be it political,academically,socially or even financially and so fourth. We speak only of change but we don't have the guts to stand up and work on it. Let's give our kids a chance to keep fighting on what they can do and notice there talents. I want change and am embracing it cause i want a better tomorrow for me and my generation ahead.

    ReplyDelete